The meaning of the term “Essay” is ambiguous, interweaving with those of an article or short story. It could be explained as a short piece of writing tracing the writer’s mindset or viewpoint for a specific argument. It expresses the writer’s opinion about the subject matter. It is usually written in prose form but it’s generally cogent, conjectural, and elucidative. A famous English essayist, Aldous Huxley defines essays as, “a literary device for saying almost everything about almost anything.” However, a well-drafted essay includes certain details to support the writer’s explanations. It should be structured and well organized initialized by an introduction about the subject matter and should have a well-defined body as well as the conclusion.
Essays are a way to evaluate your comprehension of certain ideas and your capability to explain and argue on a given subject of discussion. People generally assume that essays are written in a discursive way just because they are generally written in prose style, but a good essay is always coherent which gives a clear idea of the writer’s thoughts on the given topic. For every argument, writers need to present their logic as nobody wants to believe in illogical theories. However, essays can be formal as well as informal though formal essays are usually academic in nature and address momentous topics. There are broadly four types of essays, let’s have a glimpse of them to understand why these four types are needed to portray your thoughts in an essay.
- Narrative Essays: Narrative essays seem to be like a story or an incident one is narrating to you through a piece of writing. It is always in the first person as the writer outlines his/her own story or point of view. The objective of writing a narrative essay is to engage your audience in them as if they were exactly witnessing the same incident right there with you. So a good narrative essay should be lucid, vivid, and little dramatic along with the essence of realness. Being an assignment help expert, I would suggest a tip to maximize the impact of the narrative essay by including ample references to sensory perceptions and emotions.
- Descriptive Essays: A descriptive essay describes something such as – a place, an object, an event or a memory. However, writing a descriptive essay is not as easy as it seems. The writer has to draft an essay to which the audience can have a connection and feel the writer’s emotions as the writer was feeling at the moment. It is an art of writing through which one can paint a picture by his words only and can have a great impact on the targeted audience. The writer only needs to evoke the senses of the reader by using exemplary words and the certainty of his/her arguments.
- Expository Essays: Expository essays are complex ones to draft as they require the writer to deeply look into an idea or subject, assess the evidence, give an account of the idea and present an argument in clear and summarized manner. To craft such essays, writers must possess extensive knowledge of subject matter and avoidance of the writer’s feeling or emotions can be helpful in drafting a perfect expository essay. The essay must include facts and figures, some stats if required, and should reflect the writer’s surety about the arguments been described in the paper.
- Persuasive Essays: Persuasive essays serve a way to make the audience believe the arguments that the writer made in the paper. A persuasive essay is not just a demonstration of facts but an endeavor
to convince the reader of the writer’s point of view. The writer has to draft both sides of a topic but weights more on the one he/she wants to people believe. It may go sometimes contradictory if the proper writing style is not used. So the writers have to be careful about picking up the right words needed to balance both sides of a topic and parallelly advantaging the side of their wish.
Prime Steps to Draft an Essay –
A lot of planning is required to draft a high-quality essay. However, it could be an essay task for someone but most of us are still in the initial stage of writing essays. I will recommend you to follow these tips if you also want to craft an essay like professionals.
- Determine which genre of essay to inscribe
- Rack your brains to select a topic
- Research as much as you can
- Contour your essay
- Write your essay by using prodigious words
- Proofread to check for spelling and grammatical mistakes.
Ethan is a professional essay writer and loves assisting students in writing professional essays through essay writing help at My Assignment Services. He has written hundreds of blog on essay writing just to help students in understanding the factors that can help beginners to write a good quality essay and secure higher grades.