The Academic Writing Center was created in March 2015 to contribute to the implementation of Russian Academic Excellence Project 5-100 whose aim is to increase NUST MISiS international competitiveness within the global sphere of science and education. According to NUST MISiS Roadmap of Strategic Initiatives, the Center has been tasked to establish a portfolio of the university programs and intellectual products ensuring international competitiveness.
The Academic Writing Center helps PhD students and junior researchers reach their full potential and gain effective writing skills needed to continue professional development through their academic lives.
We believe that writing is a powerful tool not only for communicating ideas but also for discovering new ones.
We are committed to three key practices:
- Give intensive courses in English academic writing tailored to the needs of NUST MISiS junior researchers so that they could get published in the most prestigious international journals, build working relations with other scholars overseas and succeed in raising funds for their research.
- Make ourselves available and accessible through in-person consulting and web-conferencing as well as workshops and lectures on academic writing and speaking.
- Provide systematic training for tutors who are devoted to the success of PhD students and junior researchers to enable them to compete for limited journal space with native speakers from some of the best universities in the English-speaking world.
Our Center provides academic writing support to NUST MISiS postgraduate students, junior researchers and faculty. During consulting sessions and workshops, our consultants offer feedback and strategies to help you improve at every stage of your writing, from brainstorming to final drafts.
- Our Center can help you develop and structure ideas and employ research, connect thoughts, keep your reader’s attention, cite courses, strengthen your understanding of grammar.
- You should not wait to come in until you have a final draft. Come in at any stage of your writing process – even before you have started writing. To make an appointment you should register online.
- The Center is an instructional service. We do not write, edit or proofread for you. We teach you to identify and address problems themselves, which will enable you to write well.